Migration Data Analysis Division
In response to the growing needs and to provide quality data on migration to support evidence-based migration policy and programming in Bangladesh, IOM Bangladesh established Migration Data Analysis Division in June 2019 with the aim of production, analysis and dissemination of migration data and researches for a myriad of stakeholders such as Government, UN agencies and other organizations and institutions working on the migration issue. . The core activities of the Division are aligned with IOM’s global and regional initiatives in harmonizing migration data, which is based on mainly three global frameworks:
1. The first objective of Global Compact for Migration (GCM) that refers to the need to Collect and utilize accurate and disaggregated data as a foundation for evidence-based policies.
2. The Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) 17.18 which states that Countries must significantly increase the availability of high-quality, timely and reliable data disaggregated by income, gender, age, race, ethnicity, migratory status, disability, geographic location and other characteristics relevant in national contexts.
3. The second principle of Migration Governance Framework (MiGOF) which states that Migration and related policies are best formulated using evidence and whole-of-Government approach.
• Creation of UN Data Group on Migration which brings together all development partners to ensure the fulfilment of use of data to inform policy and evidence-based decision making.
• Better analysis and effective communication of data to promote healthy and balanced debate on migration, mobility and displacement issues at the national level.
• Strengthen the evidence-based formulation and implementation of humanitarian and development policy and programming on migration and mobility in Bangladesh.
• Oversee the monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning needs and the knowledge repository for the Bangladesh Mission and enable real time provision of disaggregated migration data.
• Track progress related to fulfillment of migration-related indicators under the Sustainable Development Goals, the Global Compact for Migration, the Migration Governance Framework (MiGOF) and the migration indicators linked to the country’s development plans.
• Optimize use of technology to improve the accuracy, timeliness and accessibility of monitoring and evaluation data across the Mission
• Establish, strengthen, and institutionalize the comprehensive data and information management mechanism on displacement, migration, and return in Bangladesh.
• Improve understanding on the displacement and migration dynamics, drivers, modalities and vulnerabilities of Bangladeshi migrants.
• Produce, maintain, and coordinate centrally available dashboards and reports for the Mission to support evidence-based decision making.
• Improved and timely response, coordination, and liaison with internal and external stakeholders, including donors and the government, on project development, data and statistics needs, reporting and communications.