Facts and Figures (Global)
USD 3 Billion
37 Million People
Conflicts, armed violence, disasters, epidemics, pandemics and other crises force millions of people to leave their homes and communities, sometimes for years or even decades. More than 82 million people are currently living in displacement within and across borders with disasters displacing around 25 million on average each year. Economic downturns, political instability and other drivers also compel large population movements.
As the leading UN agency working on migration, we are committed to saving lives and helping populations move out of harm’s way. We protect and assist those displaced or stranded by crisis, and support populations and their communities to recover. We work to mitigate adverse drivers that force people from their homes, help build resilience and focus on reducing disaster risk so that movement and migration can be a choice.
The Organization is among the world’s largest humanitarian actors and one of the few international organizations directly impacting programmes across the humanitarian, development and peace nexus to provide comprehensive responses at all phases of crises.
The strategic objective of the emergencies and stabilization initiative attempts to prevent and prepare for crisis, support migrants, displaced persons and communities affected by crises in accordance with humanitarian principles and promote durable solutions to end displacement.
Emergency and Stabilization
In Bangladesh, the strategic objective of the emergencies and stabilization initiative attempts to prevent and prepare for crisis, support migrants, displaced persons and communities affected by crises in accordance with humanitarian principles and promote durable solutions to end displacement.
- Country Priorities
- Immediate response to the crisis affected communities with life saving interventions
- Humanitarian Development Nexus Disaster Risk Reduction (preparedness, resilience)
- Environment and Climate Change Livelihood
- Bring humanitarian development linkages into the programming under emergencies and stabilization
- Mainstream Migration, Environment and Climate Chance (MECC) in Bangladesh
- Promote MCOF framework to support the Government in managing displaced population in the wake of disasters and emergencies in Bangladesh
- Performance Measurement
- Proportion of migrants in need who receive multi-sector assistance to alleviate their vulnerable conditions
- Proportion of community members reporting that their specific needs and concerns are addressed within emergency and stabilization projects